Posted in General Studies

Creating Maps – Social Studies Project

Hello Grade 1 Parents!

Our students have been working hard to learn all about mapping. We have learned that a map needs a title, a legend, symbols, a compass rose, and a scale! 

Now it’s time for the students to create their own maps. The students will each be making a map of their bed room. Each student has a planning sheet (in their note tote) that we worked on in class and a blank map grid (also in their note tote) for this project. My example map showed my bed, dresser, closet door, window… I have a feeling my bedroom is a little more empty than most of the Grade 1 students’!

The map should be completed by the students! You can encourage them to use colours and include all of the basic features of a map (title, legend, symbols, compass rose, scale*).
*Please note that the scale should be done with footsteps; just like we learned in class!

The students have until Tuesday, February 5th to bring their map back to class so we can begin our presentations. On the evenings that you are working on the map, you do not need to do your English reading homework. 

Looking forward to seeing all of the amazing work!

One thought on “Creating Maps – Social Studies Project