Posted in General Studies, Grade 1 Reading

Take Home Homework Folder

Today the students will bring home their red Take Home folders. In these folders is everything you need to be able to support your child as he\she completes their English reading homework. We have gone over in class the various decoding strategies to use when they come across a word that is unfamiliar to them. At this point in the year they would benefit from  reviewing the strategies before they begin to read. We will be working on digraphs (sh, ch etc…) and long and short vowel sounds in class. I have provided anchor charts for them to refer to if they come across a vowel sound they cannot yet reproduce. Please remember to sign the reading log every evening, it is located in the back of the Take Home folder.

• The homework should not take more than 10 minutes. 
  • Please let me know if it is taking too long (you may write a note and place it in the note tote or send me an email).
  • Alternate between the sight word list (not this week) and book, so that the homework session does not exceed 30 minutes for all three subjects.
  • Please sign it every day and remind your child to return it to their note tote bag.
  • Happy reading!