Posted in General Studies, Grade 1 Reading

Happy 2020! Please Come Along On Our Learning Journey.

Weekly Homework

Hope everyone had a great winter break! This week’s homework will be to continue practicing our reading skills. Some students did not receive a new book today as they did not have the opportunity to read the books provided over the break, others have a new book for this week.

Introduction to Spelling

Have you ever heard parents say, ” English is too hard, filled with exceptions and makes no sense. How can I teach my child how to spell with all these exceptions. The answer is simple, come along on our learning journey. As both myself and the students explore Structured Word Inquiry. As we all have to start somewhere, we begin with 6 Spelling Rules that are based on the Barton system which follow the Orton Gillingham methods. These rules are designed to help students understand why words are spelled the way they are. This week I introduced the Hockey Rink Rule. <ck> comes at the end of a one syllable word after a short vowel. <k> is used after two vowels or if there is already a consonant between the vowel and the <k>. The students were given a list of words that they sorted independently, followed by time as a whole group to discuss and discover similarities and differences. And guess what… we were able to explain the Hockey Rink Rule.

As we make more discoveries I will continue to share.