Homework Expectations

Homework needs to be meaningful, appropriate and purposeful. The main focus is on practicing skills independently.

Reading is the primary homework in Grade 1 (Below you will find a more detailed description for each subject)Between General studies, French and Hebrew, your child should not have more than 30 minutes of homework per evening (please inform us if this is not the case at your home)

Ivrit:

• Once we start, the Hebrew reading booklet will be coming home daily.  The homework should not take more than 10 minutes. 
  • Please let me know if it is taking too long (you may write a note in the booklet itself or send me an email).
  • Please remind your child to use his/her finger (or some kind of pointer) to read (this will come in handy as words become more complex).
  • Please sign it every day and remind your child to return it to tote bag.

General Studies:

• Once we start the English reading, it should be completed each night M-W.  
  • Please let me know if it is taking too long (send me an email).
  • Each day, they will bring home their grey take-home folder which has their weekly reading materials. Please click on the helpful reading strategies link and print this bookmark, use it as a tool when completing the reading homework. Remember to sign the reading log (in their grey take-home folder) each night (this lets me know the homework was completed) and your child will receive a stamp or sticker the following day. Online students will receive a PDF of their reading materials every Monday and a sticker each time their parents fill in the log posted on Classkick. At the end of each month, the students are required to record themselves reading 1 book from their assigned homework on Classkick.
  • Click here to learn more about Teach Your Monster to Read optional work.
  • Our IXL program will be used for math practice on a weekly basis. The students will be required to work on this program for homework on Thursday. Log-in information will be in their grey folders.

French:

• Once we start French reading, it will be your child’s weekly French homework. This should take no longer than 10 minutes/evening.
  • For the first few weeks, I will be sending home paper copies of books that we worked on in class or that the students have created on their own. Please encourage them to share the new French vocabulary in them with you.
  • Beginning in October, I will be assigning 1 leveled book from the “Je Lis” website OR a sound sheet. I will be sending you login information for “Je Lis” so that you to access the book on a nightly basis.
  • In order to keep track of your child’s reading progress, a reading log will be sent home with your child in an orange duo-tang where you can write down if the book was too easy, just right or too difficult for them to read.
  • Beginning later on in the year, I will be sending home a list of 5 words/week that you can practice with your children. This will be an optional assignment.