Homework Expectations

In accordance with our OJCS Homework Philosophy, homework needs to be meaningful, appropriate and purposeful. The main focus is on practicing skills independently.

Reading is the primary homework in Grade 1 (Below you will find a more detailed description for each subject)Between General studies, French and Hebrew, your child should not have more than 30 minutes of homework per evening (please inform us if this is not the case at your home)

Ivrit:

• Hebrew reading will be given via Classkick this year (I will also provide PDF for those who want to print it).
    • The link will be posted on our Blog in the Weekly homework slide.
    • The students will receive homework Monday through Thursday with the expectation that they read daily.
    • The benefit of using Classkick is that the students are able to listen to a recording of the reading as well as record themselves.
    • Students are encouraged to record themselves daily. This does not mean they need to record the whole page, but choose 2 or 3 lines to record.
    • This is a wonderful tool that allows them to listen to their own progress throughout the year.
  • The homework should not take more than 10 minutes. 
  • Please let me know if it is taking too long.
  • If your child does not record their homework, please make sure to sign the page for my reading records.

General Studies:

• Once we start the English reading, it should be completed each night M-W.  
  • Please let me know if it is taking too long (send me an email).
  • Remember to sign the reading log each night.

French:

• Once we start French reading, it will be your child’s weekly French homework. This should take no longer than 10 minutes/evening.
  • For the first few weeks, I will be sending home paper copies of books that we worked on in class or that the students have created on their own. Please encourage them to share the new French vocabulary in them with you.
  • Beginning in October, I will be assigning 1 leveled book from the “Je Lis” website OR a sound sheet. I will be sending you login information for “Je Lis” so that you to access the book on a nightly basis.
  • Beginning later on in the year, I will be sending home a list of some words that you can practice reading  with your children and they can also use them to write simple sentences. This will be an optional assignment.